What are Medical Transcription Services?
elizabeth | Jun 16, 2011
Medical Transcription Services include the act of transcribing medical reports that are dictated by physicians, nurses and other healthcare practitioners. Dictations are voice files typically called in over the telephone or uploaded digitally via the Internet and now through smart phone apps.
With today’s technology, there are numerous electronic devices that are used to record audio files such as a digital handheld recorder, iPhone App, or toll free call in voice servers. The provider then dictates office visits, emergency room visits, diagnostic imaging studies, operations, chart reviews, and final summaries and uploads them to a transcriptionist who then types them.
Physicians, nurses, or other healthcare providers dictate a note in digital audio format to keep track of a patient’s health, history and care. Dictations are then transcribed into a word document by medical transcriptionists and sent back to the physician electronically. Physicians will approve or make changes to their medical transcriptions before saving and storing to a patient’s medical record. Cardiologists, Pathologists, Radiologists, Surgeons, and a host of other medical specialists must all coordinate their efforts to ensure that patient care is adequate and appropriate. Traditionally, professionally skilled medical transcriptionists working in the medical records department of a hospital accomplishes the transcribing of medical reports. However, medical transcription has changed over the years. Instead of an assortment of handwritten notes for the record, the approach has gone digital and healthcare organizations are shifting to electronic format. These patient reports are safely stored in the electronic database and are available for immediate access and retrieval anytime by permitted and affiliated healthcare personnel.
Today, many electronic health record systems have built-in voice recognition and dictation storage that can be adapted to many models of transcribing, including outsourcing or in-house solutions. But still time and experience have shown that online traditional medical transcription is still the most affordable and accurate, time saving solution. This holds true because physicians do not have the time to spend countless hours revising their notes. Most online medical transcription services companies have a methodology or process in place to perform the steps necessary to complete work successfully. The process for example may include these steps: submission and retrieval, transcribing, quality assurance, report delivery and file storage and archival. Turn-around time (TAT) is defined as the time it takes to receive finished reports after submission of dictation files. For medical transcription services, TAT can vary from 2, 4, 8, 12, 24 or 48 hours where standard TAT is typically 12 to 24 hours. Should a physician need a report sooner than the regular TAT it is termed STAT, another term used to imply urgent or rush delivery.
Medical transcriptionist’s convert dictated audio files to transcribed medical transcription reports. They not only transcribe voice files, but they also edit and properly format reports and then safely return them in either printed or electronic format for physician review and sign off or to make updates if necessary. Medical transcriptionists are skilled in medical terminology and act in compliance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requirements. Medical transcription is performed in many various ways. It can be performed by in-house transcriptionists who are employees at a hospital or contractor who work from home. There are several certification classes and online training available for candidates interested in pursuing a career as a medical transcriptionist. The outlook looks good and the employment of medical transcriptionists is projected to grow by 11% from 2008 to 2018 in the US.
Medical Transcription Service Specialty Areas
Transcription Outsourcing, LLC is a Denver, Colorado-based medical transcription company that provides fast, accurate and reliable transcription services for hospitals, clinics, facilities and individual practices of all sizes. Call 720.287.3710 (855.287.3710 toll free) today for a free quote, and ask about our free five-day trail. Visit our website for more information about our medical transcription services.
- American Health Information Management Association and Medical Transcription Industry Association, Joint Task Force on Standards Development, Transcription Turnaround Time for Common Document Types, Perspectives in Health Information Management, Summer 2008, on the Internet at http://www.ahdionline.org/Portals/0/downloads/TAT4CDT.pdf (visited June 03, 2011).
- Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity, AHDI Certified Medical Transcriptionist (CMT) Exam, Credentials & Designations, on the Internet at http://www.ahdionline.org/EducationTraining/CredentialsDesignations/CertifiedMedicalTranscriptionist/tabid/159/Default.aspx (retrieved June 06, 2011).
- Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity, Credentialing Candidate Guide, 2010, Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity, on the Internet at http://www.ahdionline.org/portals/0/downloads/CredentialingCandidateGuide.pdf (retrieved June 03, 2011).
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition, Medical Transcriptionists, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos271.htm (visited June 02, 2011).
- Dictation. App Store, iPhone Application Search Apple iPhone June 3, 2011
- Dictation. (n.d.). Collins English Dictionary – Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition. Retrieved June 03, 2011, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dictation
- “Medical Transcription.” Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 24 April 2011. Web. 25 May 2011. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_transcription#Outsourcing_of_medical_transcription
- MT World, Introduction to Medical Transcription, Medical Transcription, Tuesday, June 7, 2011, on the Internet at http://www.mtworld.com/career/BecomeaMedTrans.html (retrieved June 07, 2011).
- Transcription Outsourcing, LLC, Digital Transcribing Services Process, How it Works, on the Internet at http://transcriptionoutsourcing.net/index/online-transcribing-service/digital-transcribing-services-process (visited June 03, 2011).
- “Transcription (service).” Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 18 February 2011. Web. 25 May 2011. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcription_(service)
New customers qualify for a FREE TRIAL!Start My Free Trial
Transcription Outsourcing, LLC is a Denver, Colorado-based online transcription services company. We provide fast, accurate and reliable transcription services for individuals, offices, departments and agencies of all sizes.